PDA

View Full Version : Away from home

roldfiel
11-01-2000, 08:43 AM
Just looking for some support from married couples who know what it is like to be temporarily separated due to work or school. I am currently studying in Moscow, Russia and have been away for 2 1/2 months. I only have 5 weeks left, but miss my husband dearly. Any advice?

blinc
11-01-2000, 08:50 AM
Roldfiel - that sounds like such a sad story, but one that we know will have a happy ending when you two are reunited.

My husband and I were only seperated once by work. He had to go to Jamaica for over a month on an emergency construction project. (Yeah, poor guy). We talked a lot on the phone - but wouldn't reccomend that, unless you're rich! We had a HUGE phone bill.. didn't realize it would be that bad til later.

Are you writing to each other? Oooh, what about getting a little notebook/diary and writing to him in it everyday? When you get back home, you could give it to him, to show him how much he was in your thoughts everyday? While you were writing, it may help to make you feel closer?

roldfiel
11-01-2000, 08:56 AM
Yeah, we write everyday via e-mail and talk as much as possible, but the bill sure gets up there! The most difficult part is being around students who don't understand the connection between married people. You're idea on writing is a great one-Thanks!

In_His_Shadow
11-01-2000, 09:09 AM
Blinc idea is wonderful. Also everyday you can start planning one thing that you will do special together when you are reunite. Today plan something for your first meeting together, tomorrow plan the next day. It could be as simple as leaving a note on his pillow telling what you love most about him.

Or you could plan a whole night from start to finish :) and start posting little hints as to what you have planned. Everyday give him one hint and not exposing the final scene until that eventful day.

I'm sure everyone here will give you some wonderful suggestions.

CJ

RoadRunner
11-01-2000, 09:18 AM
Wow, blinc and CJ, that was good stuff.

I used to keep a journal. That was fun stuff. blinc's right, it would be a great gift! I also like the planning your first date idea.

I don't think I could top those. About the best I could do is for both of you to get AOL Instant messenger or something similar so that you could save the long distance charges. That way you can visit longer for less.

BTW, roldfiel, tell us about your username and how you found the place--all the way from Russia! Don't you just love the Internet? There are a couple of threads for this in the "Welcome to the Forums" forum. They're called "What's in a name?" and "How did you find out about MarriedAdults.com?"

roldfiel
11-01-2000, 09:30 AM
Thanks for all of your responses. I don't have a computer with me here in Russia. I am currently using one at my place of internship-Carnegie Moscow Center. Unfortunately, due to the time difference instant messaging doesn't work. I can only be at a computer during certain hours of the day. It is currently 5:30 in the evening and my work day is about over. I can't imagine what it was like when there was no e-mail! At least that isn't a problem.