|12-21-2000, 11:28 AM||#1|
Join Date: Dec 2000
ARE YOU FEELING OLD?
If not, consider this:
This fall's college freshman class was born after 1980.
** The Iranian hostage crisis occurred before they were conceived.
** They have no memory of a time before MTV.
** "New Wave" is their parents' musical generation.
** They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan era.
** They were prepubescent when the Persian Gulf War was waged.
** If they have heard the name "Oliver North," it was probably as a losing congressional candidate or perhaps in some obscure survey history text's reference, such as might be made to Huey Long or
** Black Monday 1987 is as insignificant to them as the Great Depression.
** Their world has always included AIDS.
** Having not lived through the Disco Scare, they can romanticize the 1970s.
** They see "Family Ties" as something middle-aged ladies watch.
** Atari predates them, as do vinyl albums and cassette audiotapes.
** From their earliest years, a camera was something you used once and threw away.
** The oil crisis is history of which they probably know
nothing -- and why anyone wouldn't buy a suburban is beyond them.
YOU ARE OF THE 80'S IF:
You know what "Sike" (Psyche) means.
You know the profound meaning of "Wax on, Wax off".
You know that another name for a keyboard is a "Synthesizer".
You were only cool if you hung out at the Roller Rink and actually knew how to skate.
You can sing the McDonald's Big Mack Filet-o-fish, quarter pounder, French Fry song while jump roping.
You wore 3-8 different colored socks in layers and thought that the more you could wear the cooler you were.
You know who Mr. T is.
You actually believed for a minute that K.I.T. (The night rider) actually was real.
You know who Fat Albert is.
You wore fluorescent, neon clothing.
You could break dance, or wish you could.
You wanted to be The Incredible Hulk for Halloween.
You believed that "By the power of Greyskull, you HAD the power!"
Partying "like it's 1999" seemed SO far away.
You thought that Transformers were more than meets the eye.
You wanted to be on Star Search.
You can remember Michael Jackson when he was black.
You wore a banana clip(a.k.a. Zipper Head) at some point during your youth.
You remember the garbage pail kids, and owned some.
You knew what Willis was "talkin' 'bout."
You HAD to have your MTV.
You always wondered why Tootie always wore those skates.
You actually thought "Dirty Dancing" was a REALLY good movie.
You watched Purple Rain over and over again.
Your all time favorite movie was Footloose and you actually thought that Kevin Bacon was HOT in it!!!
You remember the episode of Good Times when Flo broke down after James' funeral.
You remember when ATARI was a state of the art video game system.
You own any cassettes.
You were led to believe that in the year 2000 we'd all be living on the moon.
You remember and/or owned any of the Care Bear Glass collection from Pizza Hut or any other stupid collection they came out with.
Poltergeist freaked you out.
You carried your lunch to school in a Gremlins or an ET lunch box.
You have pondered why Smurfette was the ONLY female smurf.
You know what leg warmers are and probably had a pair.
You wore biker shorts underneath a short skirt and felt stylish.
You had a Swatch Watch with the Swatch Guard.
You thought UTFOs "Roxanne, Roxanne" song was the bomb!
You remember when Saturday Night Live was funny.
You had Wonder Woman or Superman underoos.
You know what a "Push Up" ice cream is.
You had to come in the house when the street lights came on.
If you can identify with at least half of this list then you, my friend, are a "Child of the 80's".
25 SIGNS THAT YOU'VE HAD TOO MUCH OF THE 90's
1. You just tried to enter your password on the microwave.
2. You have a list of 15 phone numbers to reach your family of three.
3. You call your son's beeper to let him know it's time to eat. He emails you back from his bedroom, "What's for dinner?"
4. Your daughter sells Girl Scout Cookies via her web site.
5. You chat several times a day with a stranger from South Africa, but you haven't spoken with your next door neighbor yet this year.
6. You check the ingredients on a can of chicken noodle soup to see if it contains Echinacea.
7. You check your blow-dryer to see if it's Y2K compliant.
8. Your grandmother clogs up your e-mail inbox asking you to send her a JPEG file of your newborn so she can create a screen saver.
9. You pull up in your own driveway and use your cell phone to see if anyone is home.
10. Every commercial on television has a web-site address at the bottom of the screen.
11. You buy a computer and a week later it is out of date and now sells for half the price you paid.
12. The concept of using real money, instead of credit or debit, to make a purchase is foreign to you.
13. Cleaning up the dining room means getting the fast food bags out of the back seat of your car.
14. Your reason for not staying in touch with family is that they do not have e-mail addresses.
15. You consider second-day air delivery painfully slow.
16. Your dining room table is now your flat filing cabinet.
17. Your idea of being organized is multiple-colored Post-it notes.
18. You hear most of your jokes via e-mail instead of in person.
19. You get an extra phone line so you can get phone calls.
20. You turn off your Modem and get this awful feeling, as if you just pulled the plug on a loved one.
21. You get up in morning and go online before getting your coffee.
22. You wake up at 2am to go to the bathroom and check your E-mail on your way back to bed.
23. You start tilting your head sideways to smile.
24. You're reading this.
25. Even worse; you're going to e-mail it to someone else!
|12-21-2000, 11:48 AM||#2|
Join Date: Dec 2000
1. Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.
2. If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the human race has not achieved, and never will achieve, its full potential, that word would be "meetings".
3. There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
4. People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them.
5. And when God, who created the entire universe with all of its glories, decides to deliver a message to humanity, He WILL NOT use, as His messenger, a person on cable TV with a bad hairstyle.
6. You should not confuse your career with your life.
7. No matter what happens ... somebody will find a way to take it too seriously.
8. When trouble arises & things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution & is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy.
9. Nobody cares if you can't dance well. Just get up and dance.
10. A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.
11. Never lick a steak knife.
12. Take out the fortune before you eat the cookie.
13. "The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that, deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers."
14. You should never say anything to a woman that even remotely suggests that you think she's pregnant unless you can see an actual baby emerging
from her at that moment.
15. Your friends love you anyway.
that life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
that the best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person.
that having a child fall asleep in your arms is one of the most peaceful feelings in the world.
that you should never say no to a gift from a child.
that I can always pray for someone when I don't have the strenghth to help him in some other way.
that no matter how serious your life requires you to be, everyone needs a friend to act goofy with.
that sometimes all a person needs is a hand to hold and a heart to understand.
that we should be glad God doesn't give us everything we ask for.
that it's those small daily happenings that make life so spectacular.
that under everyone's hard shell is someone who wants to be appreciated and loved.
that the Lord didn't do it all in one day. What makes me think I can?
that love, not time, heals all wounds.
that you can make someone's day by simply sending them a little note.
that you can tell a lot about a man by how he handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights.
that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you'll miss them when they're gone from your life.
that making a "living" is not the same thing as making a "life".
that life sometimes gives you a second chance.
that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love human touch: holding hands, a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back.
that I still have a lot to learn.
|12-21-2000, 12:21 PM||#3|
Join Date: Dec 2000
These are great!! Some I had read; some I hadn't.
Sooooo, how DO I get that second phone line for the calls?? LOL
"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer." Psalm 19:14
|12-21-2000, 07:53 PM||#4|
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: N. Carolina, USA
Those are great Lisa!!
Am I old?
Let's put it this way. I jumped up out of my rocker, scared to death, when the Big Bang occured. *blink*
|12-21-2000, 10:23 PM||#5|
Join Date: Dec 2000
I read a few of these and started to feel REAL OLD! Then I noticed the post ended up all sentimental.
A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22
|12-24-2000, 09:03 PM||#6|
Join Date: Nov 2000
Oh my gosh, Lisa....I LOVED that!!! I guess I am old, because I could really relate to alot of those!!!
I remember driving around with my friends and yelling..."Tonight I'm going to party like it's 1999" to Prince's song...1999....and seriously thinking that was soooooooo far in the future...yee gads. (where did the time go?)
And i DID love the movie...Footloose....and DID think Kevin Bacon was Hot in it....geesh....what a flashback!
And I thought in the year 2000 we would all be pushing a button to do everything...including our housework...(we could only wish...lol)
Thanks for the blast to the past, Lisa. I am definately a child of the 80's!!! I graduated high school in 1984!!!
Yep, I feel old....lol
|12-23-2006, 07:39 AM||#8|
An Awesome Dude
Join Date: Oct 2006